Friday, November 12, 2010

Android Market - Downloads stalling and market crashes constantly on cancel

I >hate< this situation now for quite a while already. A couple of application downloads keep in a stalled mode and actually never finished. New initiated download went fine though. Even resetting the Phone (in this case an HTC Desire) didn't help out. Quite Frustrating.
Now after some internet search I found a working solution for this problem. Steps:

  1. clear market cache: Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Market > Clear Cache
  2. clear market data:  Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Market > Clear Data
  3. force market close:  Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Market > Force Stop
Just executing step 1 did not make the trick for me and obviously you don't need step 3 if your market application is not already running. This solved my issue - actually even without reseting the phone. I hope that I remember this one for next time ....
Source of this instruction is here.